Friday, 26 January 2007

Ben on...Nathan Astle, tributes

The news is out, Nathan Astle has quit international cricket. What an absolute shock.

In his own words:

"I have been fighting this day for about eight months. I so desperately wanted to go to my fourth World Cup, but deep down inside I knew that I was lacking motivation and the enjoyment levels were just not there." (more)

I think it is fair to say that he will retire as a favourite Black Caps for the vast majority of New Zealand fans. It wasn't just that he was so good, but that he was such an understated Kiwi about it.

A few tributes have already begun to trickle in:

Stephen Fleming
Gavin Larsen
Martin Crowe
Dylan Cleaver

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A real loss for the game. Thoroughly entertaining and a man who did a lot to make the past decade oneof the most successful in New Zealand Cricket history.

This Aussie won't miss you scoring against us but I'll miss your competitive spirit and your strokeplay.

Jeff