Tuesday, 12 July 2005

A very close thing

Hmmm. This smacks of skullduggery. In their match against the New Zealand Academy XI the Karnataka State team were struggling with 18 runs needed off three overs, only two wickets left in hand and Shane Bond firing down rockets. They responded by appealing against the light and won on the Duckworth/Lewis rules. A look at the scorecard shows some positives though. Good bowling from Bond, Franklin and Te Ahu Davis and good batting from Jesse Ryder and Michael Papps.

6 comments:

G said...

Sorry Mike, I have to disagree there with choice of words.'Dishonesty' in applying for a bad light ? How so and since when was it so ? A bad light is a bad light whether it is an international match or a club match. It is under the rules and so it is valid.

Mike said...

Hmmm. I didn't say "dishonesty", I said "skullduggery" - by which I meant to imply there was a cunning piece of jiggery pokery involved. In other words, a light-fingered piece of sleight of hand compared to the nasty mugging tied up in the word "dishonesty".

Jagadish said...

ah, the same kind of skullduggery
which was effectively used to shut
australia out of the 2002 vb series?

Mike said...

Exactly!

G said...

OK. My mistake in looking up the meaning of the word 'Skulldiggery'. ;) My babylon dictionary gave the meaning s of 'Dishonesty , trickery and scheming' and obviously it was none of those :)

Mike said...

Well my OED defines it skullduggery as being "underhand or unscrupulous behaviour; trickery". ;) I would say that the exemplar of the trickster is Homer's Odysseus (in Western literature anyway). I would call using the Trojan horse to sneak into Troy a piece of skullduggery, but I would not call it dishonest. Blimmin' semantics. Suffice to say that I meant no disrespect - only a grudging annoyance at having been beaten by a clever (but legal) manipulation of the rules.