Friday, 29 July 2005

Gideon Haigh

Gideon Haigh is now updating his online Ashes blog daily. His latest posting is about his disturbing ability to remember cricketers' birthdays. I have to admit that I have problems with numbers of all kinds. I look at the first four digits of Dick Smith Electronics phone number (3856785) and I think "that's pretty close to Stephen Fleming's test batting average of 38.64." I look at the docket number on the same sales receipt, 951407483, and I see Don Bradman's first-class batting average (95.14) and in the price of the double adapter for the phone that I bought ($9.87) I see the 1987/88 World Series Cup and Dipak Patel taking a magnificent leaping catch on the boundary as New Zealand beat Australia by one run. This does worry me a little. I am sure there are many far more useful things my brain should be carrying around.

No comments: