Sunday, 12 March 2006

I hate Mondays

Jeebus. I don't think tomorrow is going to be pretty. Not just did New Zealand vs West Indies turn into a supernova this afternoon, but I have spent the entire weekend on tenterhooks because my partner Rachael and I have been trying to buy our first house. My heart has been racing since about 4pm - ever since Shane Bond began to get the ball to swing.

My heart began to race not long after Chris Gayle hit Dan Vettori into the Eden Park roof guttering - a hit I suspect Gayle now regrets because none of the bowlers got any swing until the shot forced a replacement ball onto the park.

The result isn't a foregone conclusion, but the New Zealanders will be kicking themselves if they lose from here. Especially Chris Martin (twice) and Stephen Fleming who gave the West Indies chances that should have been taken. Martin in particular will be having nightmares after dropping a complete dolly off Ramdin and having Ganga caught off a no-ball.

I feel a great deal of sympathy for Ramdin. He has copped a pile of abuse for sweeping Vettori at the end of the day, but he is an attacking cricketer. This approach won a one-day match for the Windies a week ago and perhaps attack was the right course of action with only two tail-enders and the debutante Bradshaw left.

Talking of Bradshaw, what a find he is for the Windies. Six wickets, a brilliant catch (Scott Styris in the second innings) and an extremely level head that just seems to radiate calm and confidence to his team-mates.

Okay. I know it is unlikely to happen, but I should at least try to get some sleep tonight. See you in the morning. And lets just hope today's rain keeps its distance tomorrow.

1 comment:

Robert said...

It's set up for a good one...good luck on the house hunting or buying at this point. Robert.