Friday, 5 November 2004

"Worn-out Aussies up for grabs"

As the Sydney Morning Herald reports, Stephen Fleming and John Bracewell have been talking up New Zealand's chances of putting one over the Aussies in the upcoming test matches. I have to admit to holding my head in my hands after reading this article. The thought of our pop-gun attack fronting up to the best batting line-up in the world was already causing me to sweat, and Fleming and Bracewell adding extra hubris to the mix is only going to tempt nemesis even more.

1 comment:

Karl said...

Hmmm, I think they're in a dream-world there. I'd rather have a tired attack consisting of McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz than a fresh attack consisting of Oram, Frankling and ummmm, Styris? There was an interesting bit in this morning's DomPost about 'where have all the fast bowlers gone' (Mike - do you have a link?) and Simon Doull indicated he felt that Bracewell didn't consider Butler to be good enough, which Doull felt to be wrong.

To beat Australia, we need two consistently good pace bowlers, a world-class spinner and a class all-rounder. I doubt we have a bowling attack capable of bowling them out.

Which leads me also to - it'd be good to see Oram's role sorted out. Is he a batsman who bowls? A bowler who bats? Or our first-strick opening bowler? A number six batsman? A number eight batsman?

I think the difference between the NZers and Aussies is typified by a report I saw on CricInfo today saying Shane Warne is hoping to be able to bowl with a fractured thumb in the first test against NZ. Whereas Daryl Tuffey bruises his leg every time he hits the ground so isn't being played.