Monday, 5 December 2005

More thoughts on the first ODI

It has taken me a long time to compose myself after Saturday's debacle. I spent most of Saturday night feeling angry and then, when I realised that there wasn't really anyone to get angry at, I spent most of Sunday feeling depressed. It seems Richard Boock has been right all along.

The facts are that:
- the New Zealand team was thrashed
- this thrashing is part of a clear downward trend
- our fans humiliated us
- our players do not have the class to reverse the situation
- even our coach says those players are scared of the opposition.

There has always been a pessimist inside me who, even at the best of times, likes to remind me that New Zealand has the smallest population base of all test nations and that cricket is not our first sport. In 1958 we put together what is generally regarded as the worst test XI ever, a side that even recent Bangladesh and Zimbabwe teams would thrash. Ever since then we have survived by virtue of one or two champions in a team of team players. Saturday showed us just how close we are to sliding back into the cricketing abyss.

This morning we are told that "the axe is hovering" over some of the batsmen, but truth be told the selectors have no option but to stick with the current crop. The domestic season has not even started yet and it is beyond expectation to think that Jesse Ryder, or Craig Cumming or Peter Fulton can step up from club cricket to take on the might of Australia.

Sigh. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps in a few days' time I will squirm with embarrassment at posting this. But at the moment I honestly can't see things getting better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Start be sacking John Bracewell - what's the wisdom behind coming out and accepting the NZ batsmen are intimidated by Brett Lee? As if this is news to the rest of the world, the batting scorecard makes it obvious enough. This is asking to be shot, Lee will have loads of sledging material now to direct at the Kiwis.

I've never rated Bracewell as a coach personally, I think NZ will be better served by some on like John Wright.

Lucy said...

Unfortunately, I don't think you're wrong. All "the facts" are true.

I don't however, think we're falling back into a cricking abyss. We have some damn good batsmen (Fleming, Astle, Marshall, Styris), a very good keeper and bowlers that are actually improving. I think it's our mental game that needs tightening. They don't seem to take it seriously.

Mike said...

Zainub - I am not a Bracewell apologist, but I do believe in giving people a fair chance - and I think Bracewell deserves one.

Lucy - I hope you are right. Despite a day to get over it, I was still feeling pretty maudlin when I wrote that. I am feeling slightly better this afternoon, and I am hoping for an improved performance from the batsmen in Wellington on Wednesday.

Stuart Helwig said...

Hang in there Mike. I think the Kiwi's (unlike many of their supporters) don't know how to give up. They'll bounce back eventually.

Also, I believe Steve Flemming is the best captain in World Cricket.

I also won't rate all Kiwi's on a few tossers in the crowd. I spent quite a bit of time in Auckland and married a Kiwi girl so I do know better ;-)

...and good on McCallum for talking the talk, let's see if he can back it up tomorrow.

PS. Yes, zainub, I agree, get rid of Bracewell. I would say he's had enough chances Mike. At least twice now his mouthing off has been just the extra motivation the Aussies have needed to really trounce NZ - he does a side captained by the classy Steve Flemming, no good what so ever.