Tuesday, 8 March 2005

Fixing the backs of all those future Shane Bonds

Hum. According to the Paediatrics magazine which just crossed my desk and the boffins at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington there are better ways to make kids bones stronger than school milk. Feeding them a cup of "turnip greens" each day. Or two-thirds of a cup of tofu. Or a cup of broccoli. All these contain the same amount of calcium as a cup of milk.

I have to say that I found this article hilarious. I mean, are these people mad? What sort of lunatic would suggest that supplying kids with a cup of tofu or broccoli every day would do anything but create a new compost heap behind the school cafeteria? And I have no idea what turnip greens are, but they sound bloody horrible. Nope. The Campaign to Bring Back School Milk has taken this study in its stride and is marching confidently onwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I''m familiar with this subject too