Tuesday, 1 February 2005

The Unloveables Part II

In an article in the Observer, Neil Manthorp reports that the English team that visited South Africa was rude, arrogant and captained by a genuine _____. Don't ask me what a _____ is, Manthorp just says it is Afrikaans and not particularly nice.

Manthorp is not alone in his thinking. Clive Lloyd, as match referee in the final test, was so appalled by Michael Vaughan's attitude that he gave him a public roasting - calling the English captain "rude and dismissive".

None of this should be a surprise. I can't think of an England team that has toured New Zealand and has not been rude and arrogant. But I suspect this particular bout of hubris won't last long. It is hard to be arrogant when you are being stuffed by the Aussies - and the Ashes are not too far away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blank word was "doos", according to another article in the Guardian. As they say there, literally translated it means "box", but of course means something else entirely which I think can be worked out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
well, I don't know anything about the English team, ... but I do have 2 general comments, well, 3 really...

1. I was in Kolkata (Calcutta) in December on holiday at the same time as a big India-Pakistan match. Didn't make it inside the stadium unfortunately, but even the atmosphere outside was huge, and the roars from the crowd inside were deafening. I thought of you and Dan K., knowing that you would have loved to have been there.

2. My Dad's name is Clive Lloyd (okay, well, Lloydd, but who's counting D's?). That's funny.

and, related, but only slightly: 3. I'll be home in Wellington for pretty much all of February and it would be cool to catch up again if you've got the time!
cheers,
Marnie